Galt Toys Classic Pop-Up Toy
An amusing wooden toy
Includes 4 colourful figures which bob up and down on concealed springs
Designed to encourage hand / eye coordination and introduce colour awareness
Crafted in quality wood for durability
Suitable from 12 months+
This Galt classic pop-up toy is made of wood and has four coloured push-up faces, each face is a different colour. The faces are easy to both pop up and push back down. Press the colourful characters and they will bob up and down, stimulating baby's interest. Later, baby can progress to colour matching the characters to their slots. Ideal for the developing child, encouraging hand and eye co-ordination and colour recognition the Galt classic pop-up toy has wooden characters lift out and can be played with independently. It is crafted in quality wood for durability and lasting pleasure. It is suitable for ages 12 months and up.
1. I'm on baby number 4 so have seen many Christmases and birthdays already. This toy has been on my lists in the past, but somehow always got overlooked until this year. I guess it was on the recommendation of a few friends that the toys was fantastic for babies that made me finally buy it (or, err, was that Santa who bought it???).
Anyway, the bottom line is that my 9-month-old truly loves this toy. He even started crawling (finally) so he could reach it. He picks up the pegs, he mouths them, gums them, bangs them together, makes a little hammering action against the pegs that are still in their holes. He picks up the main block and turns it over and over, looking at the holes and the coloured swatches on the side.
I presume, as he gets older, he'll start tucking the pegs into the holes and then, even later, learn to launch them from their spring-loaded bases.
The toy feels good to hold because it's wooden, and the pegs are such a good size and weight. The little happy faces drawn on them are something that my baby is already responding to, turning the pegs around until he sees them.
Best of all, it's made in Cheshire, England. And it's cheaper in England than in the US. (I can tell you that *that's* a surprise!).
Bottom line: buy the toy for your first baby. Buy it for your friends' babies. I'm just about to buy one for my nephew who's 6 months old, and wish I'd bought it for my own, older kids before now, so we could have had that much more enjoyment from it.
Oh, and the other thing I really like about it? No batteries required.
UPDATE: The 9-month old is now almost 4, and he still *loves* this toy! Now the little men talk to each other, and he is very specific about putting the right coloured man in the right coloured hole. He sometimes uses a toy hammer on it, though is quite careful not to hit his men too hard. I just can't believe how CLASSIC this toy really is.
2. The beauty is in the simplicity with this toy. My daughter was bought this when she turned one and was instantly captivated by it. SHe loved making the figures pop and it wasn't long before she was popping them, retrieving then, putting them back. It's pleasing on the eye too for adults. Beautifully crafted and no batteries required. It looks so simple but it keeps young children entertained again and again and again. My now 2.5 year old still gets pleasure in popping the figures and chooses whether to put them back in the right-coloured or the wrong-coloured hole. I buy this for all my friends when their babies turn one and every one comments on what a wonderful, durable toy it is.
3. I bought this for my 11 month old nephew and think that it is a brilliant example of an old fashoined toy. This is the one toy which he comes back to time and time again, completely ignoring all the electronic toys. He quickly learned to put the pegs in the holes and not long after learnt to bounce them back out again.
I would highly recommend this to anyone, extremely enjoyable and also helps to develop fine motor skills.
4. My twins played with this when they were little and had hours of fun with it and it came in handy as a teething aid as well as a fun toy. My third child who has special need found it easy to hold and the colours eye catching and even her physiotherapist thought it was excellent for stimulation. Overall I think this is a fantastic toy and have just bought a new one for my friends little girl who is one.
5. Was a bit unsure when I purchased this, how can such a simple toy get such rave reviews? Well five minutes with my two year old answered that question! An absolute hit which is played with regularly. Safe and easy to handle. Colourful and robust. Engaging and fun.
From an educational point of view helps child with fine motor skills, helps them to learn colours and learn to count.
A great hit for visitors too, one to keep for the baby visitors even when yours grow up. Makes a great present too which is value for money.
6. This is my first review on Amazon but this toy is so fab I had to write one! I bought it thinking that my son might get a bit of play out of it and as it's small I could take it out with us in the change bag but it's his favourite toy! He plays with it every day and loves it. He's 13 months and really active so not that interested in sitting down and just playing but I can't believe that this cheap little thing has kept him so entertained. I definitely recommend this.
7. I first bought one of these toys for my own son 28 years ago, I recently found it in the loft and after cleaning it up gave it to his baby daughter to play with. She loved it, at 8 months old the little 'men' popping out made her laugh and she also enjoyed chewing on these when she was teething! However, we unfortunately lost one of the little 'men' in our holiday cottage, so I was amazed to find they were still available to buy. I ordered a new one for my now 11 month old Grand-daughter (and also one for a friend's baby as I knew she was unlikely to already have one). Both babies enjoy playing with these toys very much. My Grand-daughter has mastered the pop up action, is now trying to replace the 'men' in the holes and when she is older it will help to teach her colours. I think this is a very good value classic toy which will outlast many more modern toys.
8. A high quality pop up toy. These are wonderful and I've found myself insisting that my child play with them as I find them so much fun. The little men and their seat are beautifully made and painted; and they pop out when you press them down.
However, the box says these are suitable only for children who are over 12 months old so I wouldn't go along with other reviewers who have suggested they are ok for babies under this age.